From 2011 to 2012, Appalachian has had a 12.5 percent increase of international students coming to campus, said Kenneth Lewandoski, executive director of International Education and Development.Appalachian currently has international students from 24 different countries that are undergraduate and graduate students. A little less than half of these students are degree seeking, said Lewandoski.”Because not all of our students will be able to study abroad, we must focus on bringing the world to Appalachian,” Provost Lori Gonzalez said. “Our international students offer a wonderful opportunity for the U.S. students to learn about different cultures, countries, and customs.”
The number of students studying abroad has also increased over the last few years, Lewandoski said.Last year, 211 people from Appalachian participated in study abroad.The number is up from two years prior, which was 172. The following year, it was 206. The number for this year is not finalized, but it is the highest number of students studying abroad yet, Lewandoski said.One of the university’s goals for the quality enhancement plan is to increase the number of students who study abroad for longer periods of time, Gonzalez said.At the moment, about 25 percent of every graduating class participates in study abroad, Lewandoski said.”If we’re serious about trying to prepare students to succeed in an increasingly globalized world, where are those remaining 75 percent going to get an international perspective?” Lewandoski said.
Story: KAT GRUSS, Intern News Reporter