Wake’s second-half push too much


Colin Tate

For the second time in less than a week, Appalachian State field hockey hosted a Top 10 opponent. After losing to No. 3 North Carolina on Sept. 27, the Mountaineers dropped their eighth game of the season to No. 7 Wake Forest by a score of 7-1 Friday.

The Demon Deacons got out to an early lead with two goals from forward Krysta Wangerin in the first nine minutes. App State soon responded with a goal of its own, courtesy of junior defender Jordan Van Cleave.

“It was a little bit fumbled, so it was kind of like making the best of what we had,” Van Cleave said. “Something we’ve really been working on is giving every shot the chance to be a goal. Getting it in there and hoping either somebody touched it or it went in.”

The Mountaineers went into halftime down only one goal, but the second half was a different story.

Wake Forest would go on to score five unanswered goals, including two apiece from forwards Madi Julius and Jule Grashoff.

Head coach Meghan Dawson said that Wake Forest’s lack of stress during the game allowed them to get the win.

“They just went after it,” Dawson said. “The difference for us was we were so worried. Unfortunately, it’s part of the growing pains.”

Dawson said that by playing these highly ranked teams, her squad can learn to emulate what made these teams so good.

“Their ball speed and their movement is just at a higher speed,” Dawson said. “Their basics are a lot better and it makes us have to play better. Hopefully, the rest of the games we’ll play at that high tempo.”

The team knows, based on the first half, that it can compete with these schools.

“We need to work on completing a 70-minute period to the best of our ability and getting better outcomes,” junior defender Marissa O’Brien said.

Dawson said she believes the team is starting to feel their potential after playing the nationally ranked opponents.

“It’s just a matter of bringing it at practice and recognizing that every opportunity we have is a special one, because you only have so many,” Dawson said. “The girls have done it quite quickly, and it’s just a matter of time.”

The field hockey team will continue their home stand this weekend with back-to-back games against St. Louis and Davidson on Saturday and Sunday. Both matches are set for 1 p.m.

Story by: Colin Tate, Sports Reporter

Photos by: Lindsey Honkomp