Appalachian eyes CO detector installations

Stephanie Sansoucy

Gov. Pat McCrory signed the Regulatory Reform Act on Aug. 23, requiring carbon monoxide detectors to be installed in all hotels statewide.

This section of the bill was established after three deaths occurred at Boone’s Best Western hotel caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.

All lodging establishments must have carbon monoxide detectors installed by October 2013 in every enclosed space that has fuel-burning appliances, as well as any rooms sharing a wall, floor or ceiling with those spaces, according to the bill.

Carbon monoxide is found in combustion fumes, according to the Center for Disease Control. Blood absorbs carbon monoxide quicker than oxygen, blocking oxygen from properly entering the body.

Tom Kane, Appalachian State University’s Director of Housing, said that Appalachian is taking the necessary steps to be safe despite no requirements from the mandate.

“We are aware of this and want to make sure we have a safe environment on campus,” Kane said. “The university has been investigating the idea to install CO detectors in residential halls with State Construction.”

Kane said that Mountaineer Hall is currently the only residential building on campus with detectors. The university is looking to install detectors in laundry rooms, mechanical rooms and dorm rooms.

“The plan is to install CO detectors in any room that is around where fossil fuels are burned,” Kane said. “Our goal is to have detectors installed in all residential buildings by the end of May [2014].”

Story: GERRIT VAN GENDEREN, Intern News Reporter